Monday, November 29, 2010

The Future of Food



I am going a little off topic today because of the documentary I just saw.  It is called The Future of Food.  I think it is a very important film to watch, people need to stay educated on what is going on with the food they eat and spend hard-earned money on.  This film is about the food and farming industry, the changes it has gone through in the past century and what affect it has on the world.  They cover brief histories on pesticides/insecticides/herbicides, the “Green Revolution” (the massive increase in farming agricultural foods), corporate-sponsored monoculture farms/reduction of biological diversity and the genetic engineering of agricultural food.  These topics tie into the main subject of this documentary, the food industry and frightening relationship it has with the agricultural corporations as well as the government.  It also covers how these genetically engineered foods are affecting human health and the health of the environment. 
This is an eye-opening documentary, an assault of information you may already know and information that may be new to you.  As a holistic nutrition student, I can’t tell you how important it is to eat organic.  The most important I would say are fruits and vegetables with thin skin and meat/dairy/eggs.  After watching this film however, I would add non-genetically modified wheat is also important.    I highly recommend taking a look at this film, you can watch it on Netflix and watch instantly.  If you do let me know your thoughts!!



Keep eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment